Individuals who wish to organize a workshop at the 2018 Annual Drosophila Research Conference should submit an application no later than November 7, 2017. The number of workshop requests usually exceeds the capacity of the conference site and there is no guarantee that all requests will be accommodated. Please consider the following guidelines carefully before submitting an application:
1. Workshops should be devoted to topics that are not covered in scheduled platform sessions. They are not intended to serve as de facto platform sessions to be held on a recurring basis.
2. Examples of topics appropriate for workshops include:
- emerging or specialized areas of research
- community resources
- professional development
- education (undergraduate or graduate)
- other topics of general interest to the Drosophila community
3. Workshops must not exceed two hours in length. Although there is no standard format for workshops, organizers are encouraged to schedule sufficient time for discussion.
4. Organizers must independently identify individuals who wish to participate in their workshops; they will not be allowed to review abstracts submitted by individuals who wish to present their work in poster or platform sessions.
5. Workshop participants are encouraged to present their work as posters, but will not be allowed to speak in both a workshop and a platform session. Those authors whose abstracts are selected as poster presentations MUST display their poster for the length of the conference in the poster area and MUST present that poster during scheduled times. If the poster will be needed for the workshop, a duplicate poster will be necessary.
6. All workshop organizers, speakers, and participants must be registered for the conference.
Workshop organizers will be notified if their application has been approved no later than January 12, 2018.
Please note these important Workshop reminders:
Audio/visual: An LCD projector, screen, and microphone will be provided. Workshop organizers must provide their own computer and are responsible for loading all presentations onto that laptop. There will be no switchers for multiple laptops. Presenters WILL NOT upload their talks in the speaker ready room.
Time: Workshops must end promptly when the allotted time is over. If a workshop starts late, it still must end at the scheduled time.
Room Set: The room will be set theater style. Please do not change the room set (move chairs, a/v, etc.). The room will be used again later for another session.
Presenters: Presenters will be listed if the information has been provided by the workshop organizer.
Handouts: If you will distribute handouts, you will need to bring copies with you.